Thursday, August 1, 2013

Latest Reads: July 2013 (Slacker Edition)


Embarrassment really doesn’t even to begin to describe how I feel about this blog (hence the title). I had a HUGE lofty reading goal for the summer, and what do you know…I haven’t made a dent. I mean, I haven’t even finished the books I was supposed to finish for my July Reads edition...AND it’s NOT July anymore. Holy Moly...what a slacker!

 Here’s the skinny: I’ve been busy!  When the whirlwind of life picks up, something must give, and in this particular month, my bookshelf remained cluttered and untouched (with good reason, of course)!  Personally, I’m pleased to say I got a little traveling in and spent some killer time with the FAM and friends back in the Midwest. And I’ve also started training for a marathon…alright a half of a half of a marathon, but it’s a start.

 Creatively, my publisher and I finalized the cover to my novel and started the editing process, so the debut of The Twistedly True Tale of Ruby Hood is drawing closer! I’ve also been lucky enough to log A LOT of writing time. The first part of July was spent pouring over If the Silver Slipper Fits which is co-authored with the talented Jennifer Paquette. Slippers is comprised of two short stories centering around a pair of perfect ‘silver slippers’ with a bit of an Oz undertone. We hope to have it self-published via Kindle and Creatspace soon.  AND lastly, I’m about halfway into a new piece…my first regular fictional piece (nothing paranormal/fantasy), which I’m thinking of publishing under a pen name. Regardless, this new story, Uninvited, has been a tremendous amount of fun. So far I have a sexy FBI agent, a ‘girl next door’ type, a smug ex husband, a crazed crackhead, a kidnapping and a steamy love affair all swirled together in the quaint Midwestern town of River Grove!  It imperative I get the first draft out of my head and into the computer before the 13-14 school year starts, otherwise I fear the momentum will fade into oblivion.

So without further adieu, please enjoy the reviews of two of the books I did get finished: My Haunting Love by J.S. Wilsoncroft and A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle. I hope to have a better edition next month!
 
My Haunting Love: In this YA (young adult) novel, we meet Calista, who is not your traditional heroine. For the most part, she is your normal average moody sixteen year old, except she’s deaf and she can see ghosts. In this thrilling tale, we meet a lovable ghost, John, with a tragic past, and before you know it, Calista is swept up in the mayhem and mystery of John’s past.  Just when you think you have it figured out, Wilsoncroft throws a curveball and it becomes even more sinister than originally anticipated! It’s hard not to get swept up in this novel.
Final Thought: I hope there is more YA on Wilsoncroft’s writing list!
 
A Wrinkle in Time: It’s easy to see why this is a classic! I read it years ago, and started rereading with some of my fourth graders this past year. As one of the very first science fiction books, it was a joy to get lost in this early vision of time travel (originally published back in 1962). The story start with a ‘normal’ family, except this family is more extraordinary than ‘normal’.  The five year is a brilliant savant and some of the members can travel through time and space to new and different lands. In an attempt to rescue their father, three children venture through the portals of time and space. Along the way, they meet an intense and sinister being, and find friendship, inspiration and love with some more lovable creatures and characters. My favorite part was watching the main character, Meg, grow as a character and to realize her own self-worth! L’Engle weaves one heck of a tale.
Final Thought: GREAT reread of one of the classics!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment